This procedure can NOT be performed when the engine is hot. If done so, it may cause an adverse effect to the catalytic converter, or create a dangerous, explosive condition.
- Place the transmission gearshift lever in Neutral (manual transmissions) or Park (automatic transmissions), apply the parking brake, and block the drive wheels.
- Detach the wiring harness connector from the fuel pump relay, located under the left-hand side of the instrument panel near the ECM.
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap to release fuel vapor pressure in the fuel tank. Reinstall the filler cap.
- Start the engine and run it until it stops from lack of fuel. Crank the engine 2 or 3 times for three second periods. The fuel lines should now be depressurized.
- After servicing the component(s), reattach the wiring harness connector to the fuel pump relay.