REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Loosen all of the rear wheel lug nuts 1 / 2 turn.
- Block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Safely support the axle housing with a hydraulic floor jack, then disconnect the lower end of the shock absorber.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar from the shackle plate under the leaf spring.
Do not let the axle housing hang on the brake hoses or lines.
- Remove the rear axle housing U-bolt nuts and remove the bolts.
- Raise the rear axle housing to release spring tension and remove the shackle plate.
- Support the leaf spring and disconnect the rear leaf spring mounting bolts.
- Remove the leaf spring assembly.
- Install the leaf spring and shackle assembly and tighten the mounting bolts after the vehicle is lowered.
- Install the U-bolt nuts and tighten to 44-57 ft. lbs. (1-80 Nm).
- Connect the stabilizer bar under the shackle plate. Install the shock absorber, and tighten the mounting nuts to 23-39 ft. lbs. (35-55 Nm).
- Install the rear wheels, remove the axle housing support, and lower the vehicle.
- With the vehicle on the ground, tighten the rear leaf spring mounting bolts to 44-61 ft. lbs. (1-85 Nm). Tighten the rear leaf spring shackle pin nuts to 22-40 ft. lbs. (30-55 Nm).
- Remove the wheel blocks.