REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Sidekick, Tracker, Sidekick Sport and X-90 Models
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Loosen all of the rear wheel lug nuts 1 / 2 turn.
- Block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- If necessary, remove bracket from upper control arm.
- Position a jack under the axle.
- Remove the four bolts securing the ball joint to the differential carrier.
- Remove the upper control arm-to-body mounting nut and through-bolt.
- Remove the control arm.
- If the control arm is being replaced, remove the ball joint assembly from the control arm as follows:
- Remove the cotter pin from ball joint.
Remove ball joint castle nut.
- Using a bearing puller, remove bracket from ball joint stud bolt.
- Remove ball joint boot set ring and ball joint boot.
If the ball joint was removed from the upper control arm, install it as follows:
- When installing ball joint boot, be sure to fit boot set wire into ring groove in boot.
- After installing ball joint bracket to ball joint stud bolt, tighten castle nut till split pin hole in stud bolt aligns with slot in nut but within range of specified torque. Specified torque is 33-50 ft. lbs. (45-70 Nm).
- Install new cotter pin and bend cotter pin securely.
- Install the upper control arm to the body and install the mounting nut and through-bolts.
- Connect the ball joint to the axle assembly and install the four mounting bolts.
- Tighten the ball joint bracket-to-axle bolts to 29-43 ft. lbs. (40-60 Nm) and the control arm mounting bolts to 58-72 ft. lbs. (80-100 Nm).
- If necessary, connect the upper bracket to the upper control arm. Tighten the bolts to 13-20 ft. lbs. (18-28 Nm).
- Remove the jack.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle, and remove the wheel blocks.