Samurai and 1989-93 Sidekick/Tracker Models
See Figures 1 and 2
The engine should not be running during this inspection.
- Ensure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
When measuring the deflection, do not press on the cable so much that the throttle lever moves.
- Using a finger, press the cable as shown in the accompanying illustration and measure the deflection. The deflection should be 0.4-0.6 in. (10-15mm).
- If the deflection is not within the specified range, loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting nut until the desired deflection is obtained. Tighten the locknut securely, and recheck the deflection.
- Depress the throttle opener rod so that it is not touching the throttle lever, and remeasure the cable deflection, which should now be 0.12-0.20 in. (3-5mm). If the deflection is not as specified, perform Step 3 again.
1994-95 Sidekick and Tracker Models
- With throttle valve completely closed, inspect the accelerator pedal play (the amount of pedal movement before the accelerator cable causes the throttle lever to move), which should be 0.08-0.27 in. (2-7mm).
The adjusting nut and locknut are located on the accelerator cable bracket, mounted on the throttle body.
- If the pedal play is not within the specified range, loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting nut until the proper play is obtained.
- Have an assistant sit in the vehicle and fully depress the accelerator pedal, then inspect the clearance between the throttle lever and the lever stopper (throttle body). The clearance should be 0.02-0.07 in. (0.5-2.0mm).
- If the clearance is not within the indicated range, turn the pedal stopper bolt until the proper clearance is obtained.