See Figures 1 and 2
This method is designed so that all four vehicle wheels are on the ground.
Prepare the vehicle for towing as follows:
- Turn the ignition switch to the ACC position, which will unlock the steering column.
- If applied, release the parking brake.
- Position the transmission gearshift lever in 2nd gear (manual transmissions) or in P (automatic transmissions).
- Shift the transfer case lever into neutral.
- Set the manual free-wheeling hubs to the FREE position.
Every 200 miles (320 km) stop towing the vehicle. Leave the transmission in 2nd gear (manual), or shift it into D (automatic), and, with the transfer case still in neutral, start the engine. Rev the engine for approximately one minute to circulate oil in the transfer case.
On manual transmissions, the clutch should be engaged when revving the engine.
On automatic transmissions, before continuing with towing the vehicle, be sure to shift the transmission back to P .