See Figure 1
This method is designed so that the front wheels are on the ground, the rear wheels are on a towing dolly, and the vehicle is towed backward.
Prepare the vehicle for towing as follows:
For vehicles with automatic free-wheeling hubs, release the hubs as follows:
- Stop the vehicle completely.
- Disengage the clutch and shift the transfer lever to the 2H position.
- Drive the vehicle 4 or 5 ft. (approximately 2 m) in the opposite direction to the direction you were driving before shifting to 2H. The hubs are now unlocked.
- Secure the rear wheels of the vehicle on the towing dolly according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ACC position, which will unlock the steering column.
- Ensure the front wheels are facing straight rearward and secure the steering wheel with a steering wheel clamping device designed explicitly for this purpose.
- For vehicle with manual free-wheeling hubs, position the hubs to the FREE position.