REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The windshield washer pump is mounted on the bottom side of the washer fluid reservoir.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the wiring harness connectors from the washer pump.
- Position a clean catch pan beneath the pump, then detach the rubber hose from the pump nozzle and drain the washer fluid in the hose into the catch pan. If the catch pan is clean, the windshield washer fluid may be reused.
- Pull the washer pump out of the washer fluid reservoir and allow the remainder of the fluid to drain into the catch pan.
- Inspect the pump-to-washer fluid reservoir grommet for damage, such as rips, tears, cracking, brittleness, crumbling, etc. Replace the grommet with a new one if any such damage is found.
- Install the pump into the washer fluid reservoir by pressing it in until fully engaged.
- Pour a small amount of washer fluid into the reservoir container to double-check that the pump grommet is sealing properly. If fluid leaks out past the grommet, remove the pump and grommet and inspect the grommet for damage; reinstall the pump and grommet.
- Reattach the rubber fluid hose to the washer pump nipple.
- Engage the wiring harness connector to the washer pump, ensuring that the pump terminal retainer is properly engaged.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Rear wipers were an option on hard-top Sidekick, Tracker and Sidekick Sport models only.
The rear washer pump is also installed in the bottom side of the windshield wiper fluid reservoir, located in the engine compartment. Refer to the front pump procedure for the removal and installation of the rear pump.