- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disable air bag system.
- Remove steering wheel side caps.
Loosen driver air bag module mounting bolts till it turns freely, pull them out and fix them to bolt clamps.
- Remove air bag module from steering wheel.
- Disconnect driver air bag module connector of driver air bag module.
- Unlock lock button. With lock button unlocked, disconnect connector.
- Disconnect horn connector and audio control switch connector, if equipped.
- Remove steering shaft nut.
- Make alignment marks on steering wheel and shaft for a guide during reinstallation.
Remove steering wheel with steering wheel puller.
- Check that vehicle-s front tires are at straight-ahead position and contact coil cable assembly is centered.
- Install steering wheel to steering shaft with 2 lugs on contact coil cable assembly fitted in two grooves in the back of steering wheel and also aligning marks on steering wheel and steering shaft.
- Tighten steering shaft nut to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
- Connect horn connector and audio control switch connector, if necessary.
- Connect driver air bag module connector to driver air bag module securely.
- Connect connector, lock connector with lock button.
- Install driver air bag module to steering wheel, taking care so that no part of wire harness is caught between them.
- Make sure that clearance between module and steering wheel is uniform all the way.
- Tighten left side bolt of driver air bag module first and then right side bolt to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install steering wheel side caps.
- Enable air bag system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.