Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
Remove the brake drum.
NOTEIf the brake drum cannot be removed easily, remove the brake tube-to-axle retention bracket and pry rubber plug from rear brake backing plate inspection hole. This will allow sufficient room for insertion of a screwdriver and brake tools to disengage brake shoe adjusting lever and back off the brake adjuster screw.
- Inspect the drum for scoring and/or other wear. Machine or replace, as necessary.
- Measure the brake drum inside diameter using a brake adjustment gauge.
- Using the brake adjustment gauge, adjust the brake shoes to the same dimensions as the brake drum.
- Position the brake drum over the brake shoes on the axle hub.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Pump the brake pedal several times to position the brake shoes and complete the adjustment.
- Road test the vehicle and check for proper brake system operation.