The rear brakes are automatically adjusted while driving the vehicle. The brakes are also adjusted each time the parking brake is applied. Manual brake adjustment is only required after the brake shoes or hardware has been replaced, or the adjuster has been replaced.
- Remove the brake drum as described in this section..
- Remove any excessive dust and dirt present on the brakes using the appropriate methods.
- Using a brake adjustment gauge, measure the inside diameter of the brake drum.
Line up the brake shoes vertically so the flats on the bottom of the brake shoes are aligned approximately 0.05 inch (1.5mm) above the bottom of the abutment plate.
Adjust the brake shoes to the same diameter as the drum by placing the brake adjustment gauge on the shoes and holding the adjusting lever out of engagement of the adjusting screw.
NOTEIf the adjusting screw does not rotate freely, remove it, lubricate the threads, reinstall it and repeat the adjustment procedure.
- Install the brake drum.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake drum.
Remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever.
- Remove the 2 brake shoe hold-down springs and pins.
- Lift the brake shoes, springs and adjuster assembly off the backing plate and wheel cylinder assembly. When remo