- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Remove positive battery cable, battery hold down, and the battery.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the throttle cable from the throttle link.
- Remove the ground cable and bracket from the transaxle.
- Remove the upper side mounting bolts from the transaxle.
- Disconnect the starter wiring.
- Install an engine support device.
- Safely raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the undercovers from the vehicle.
- Drain the fluid from the transaxle assembly and the differential.
- Disconnect the right and left halfshafts from the transaxle.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable from the transaxle.
- Remove the clip holding the shift control cable to the body.
- Disconnect the shift control cable from the control lever by removing the nut.
- Disconnect the park/neutral position switch electrical connector.
- Disconnect the O/D solenoid connector, if equipped.
- Disconnect the oil cooler hose from the transaxle.
- Remove the starter assembly.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the transaxle converter cover and turn the crankshaft to gain access to each converter bolt.
- Hold the crankshaft pulley nut with a socket and breaker bar and remove the six converter bolts.
- Support the engine and transaxle with two jacks or a chain block and jack. Remove the two bolts holding the left hand engine mounting bracket to the body.
- Remove the rear mounting insulator through-bolt.
- Remove the five bolts and the rear mounting insulator.
- Remove the transaxle lower mounting bolts and remove the transaxle from the engine. The transaxle is removed from the bottom of the vehicle.
- Remove the torque convertor from the transaxle.
Install the torque convertor to the transaxle. If the torque convertor has been drained and flushed, refill with ATF.
NOTEFluid type: ATF Dexron®II
- Using a suitable jack, install the transaxle assembly to the engine aligning the two engine block knock pins with the convertor housing. Install two bolts, but do not torque at this time.
Install the remaining transaxle mounting bolts and torque the bolts to specifications.
- Install the LH engine mounting bracket and torque the two bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
Install the rear engine mounting bracket and torque the five bolts as follows:
Outside bolts through brackets to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm)
- Install the rear mounting insulator through-bolt and torque the bolt to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Install the torque six convertor mounting bolts. Torque the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Remove the jacks supporting the transaxle and install the torque converter cover.
- Install the front exhaust pipe.
- Install the starter assembly.
- Connect the oil cooler hose to the transaxle.
- If equipped, connect the O/D solenoid connector.
- Connect the park/neutral switch electrical connector.
- Install the shift control cable to the lever and secure with the nut.
- Connect the shift control cable to the body by installing the clip.
- Connect the speedometer cable to the transaxle.
- Install the left and right halfshafts.
- Install the engine undercovers.
- Safely lower the vehicle.
- Remove the engine support.
- Install the ground cable and bracket to the transaxle.
- Install the starter upper bolt. Torque the bolt to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the transaxle upper side mounting bolts and torque the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Install and adjust the throttle cable.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Install the battery with hold-down. Connect the battery cables.
Refill the transmission and differential.
NOTEUse ATF Dexron®II
- Road test the vehicle for proper operation and check for leaks.