Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- If necessary, remove the two bolts and four nuts attaching the suspension upper brace and remove the upper brace to gain access to the master cylinder. Temporarily fasten the shock absorber with the four nuts.
- If necessary, remove the air cleaner assembly from the engine compartment.
If equipped with a Traction Control System (TRAC), perform the following procedure:
- Connect a vinyl tube from a container to the bleeder plug of the TRAC actuator, then loosen the bleeder plug with the ignition in the OFF position.
Tighten the plug when the fluid stops flowing out.
WARNINGThe fluid is under high pressure and could spray out with great force. Use caution when opening the bleeder plug.
- Disconnect the electrical connector to the master cylinder.
Remove the fluid in the master cylinder with a suitable syringe.
NOTEIf brake fluid is spilled, wipe it up immediately and wash the area with water.
- If equipped with TRAC, remove the hoses from the master cylinder.
- Disconnect the hydraulic lines from the master cylinder. Plug the ends of the lines to prevent loss of fluid.
- Unfasten the nuts and remove the master cylinder from the power brake unit.
Never reuse brake fluid or leave the fluid uncovered for a period of time. Brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air and contaminated fluid can cause premature brake system failure.
- Bench bleed the master cylinder.
- Install the master cylinder. Tighten the hydraulic lines to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm) and the master cylinder mounting nuts to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- If equipped with TRAC, connect the hoses to the master cylinder.
- Engage the electrical connector to the master cylinder.
- Install the air cleaner and the suspension upper brace.
- After installation is completed, fill and bleed the brake system.
- If equipped, bleed the TRAC system.
- Check for leaks in the system before starting the vehicle.
- Check and adjust the brake pedal.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.