Several precautions must be observed with alternator equipped vehicles to avoid damage to the unit.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery.
- Loosen the pivot bolt and the lock bolt.
Loosen the adjusting bolt to release tension on the drive belt.
NOTEIt may be necessary to remove other belts such as power steering or A/C to access the alternator belt.
- Remove the drive belt from the alternator.
- Unplug the wiring connector from the back of the alternator.
- Remove the nut and alternator wire.
- Remove the wire harness from the 2 clips.
- Remove the pivot bolt, nut, and the lock bolt from the alternator.
- Remove the alternator from the mounting bracket.
- Place the alternator in its brackets and install the pivot bolt, nut, and the lock bolt. Do not tighten them at this time.
- Leave the bolts finger tight so that the belt may be adjusted to the correct tension.
- Make sure that the electrical plugs and connectors are properly seated and secure in their mounts. Adjust belt tension and tighten all necessary hardware. If equipped with A/C, tighten the adjusting bolt to apply tension to the belt.
- Tighten the pivot bolt to 30-45 ft. lbs. (41-61 Nm) and the adjusting bolt to 9-13 ft. lbs. (12-18 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and verify proper charging system operation.