Several precautions must be observed with alternator equipped vehicles to avoid damage to the unit.
If the battery is removed for any reason, make sure it is reconnected with the correct polarity. Reversing the battery connections may result in damage to the 1-way rectifiers.When utilizing a booster battery as a starting aid, always connect the positive to positive terminals and the negative terminal from the booster battery to a good engine ground on the vehicle being started.Never use a fast charger as a booster to start vehicles.Disconnect the battery cables when charging the battery with a fast charger.Never attempt to polarize the alternator.Do not use test lights of more than 12 volts when checking diode continuity.Do not short across or ground any of the alternator terminals.The polarity of the battery, alternator and regulator must be matched and considered before making any electrical connections within the system.Never separate the alternator on an open circuit. Make sure all connections within the circuit are clean and tight.Disconnect the battery ground terminal when performing any service on electrical components.Disconnect the battery if arc welding is to be done on the vehicle.
Removal & Installation
It may be necessary to remove the gravel shield and work from underneath the car in order to gain access to the alternator retaining bolts.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery.
- Loosen the pivot bolt and the lock bolt.
Loosen the adjusting bolt to release tension on the drive belt.
NOTEIt may be necessary to remove other belts such as power steering or A/C to access the alternator belt.
- Remove the drive belt from the alternator.
- Unplug the wiring connector from the back of the alternator.
- Remove the nut and alternator wire.
- Remove the wire harness from the 2 clips.
- Remove the pivot bolt, nut, and the lock bolt from the alternator.
- Remove the alternator from the mounting bracket.
- Place the alternator in its brackets and install the pivot bolt, nut, and the lock bolt. Do not tighten them at this time.
- Leave the bolts finger tight so that the belt may be adjusted to the correct tension.
- Make sure that the electrical plugs and connectors are properly seated and secure in their mounts. Adjust belt tension and tighten all necessary hardware. If equipped with A/C, tighten the adjusting bolt to apply tension to the belt.
- Tighten the pivot bolt to 30-45 ft. lbs. (41-61 Nm) and the adjusting bolt to 9-13 ft. lbs. (12-18 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and verify proper charging system operation.