Removal & Installation
Toyota Tercel 1995
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Remove the right hand engine splash shield. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold. Remove the timing belt.
- Drain the engine oil. Remove the oil pan, the oil strainer and the dipstick.
- Remove the oil pump mounting bolts and the tensioner spring bracket. Remove the oil pump.
- Install the pump with sealer and a new O-ring.
- Install the timing belt and crankshaft pulleys.
- Install the oil pan and dipstick assembly.
- Install the exhaust pipe and any front end components previously removed.
- Install the engine undercover.
- Lower the vehicle. Refill with engine oil. Start the engine and check for leaks.
Toyota Tercel 1996
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Remove the hood.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely, then drain the oil.
- Remove the oil dipstick.
- Remove the timing belt.
Suspend the engine with a hoist.
WARNINGDo not raise the engine more than necessary, since wiring and other components can be damaged.
- Remove the necessary items for access, then remove the oil pan.
- Remove the three bolts and oil strainer with the O-ring.
- Remove the pressure regulator valve.
- Remove the oil pump by removing the nine bolts and tension spring bracket. Use a soft faced hammer to remove the oil pump.
- Using a vise, remove the nut and oil pump pulley.
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces.
- Install the oil pump pulley by first placing the driven rotors into the pump body with the marks facing the front.
- Align the pulley and oil pump driveshaft.
- Using a vise, install the oil pump pulley and nut. Torque the nut to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Install the pressure regulator valve and torque to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Using a new O-ring, install the oil strainer with the three bolts. Torque the bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Using a new gasket and sealer, install the oil pan.
- Install all remaining components in the reverse order they were removed.
- Fill the engine with oil.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.
- Install the hood.
- Start the engine check for leaks.