Removal & Installation
1.5L (3E-E) Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Loosen the rocker arm adjusting screw locknuts and fully loosen the adjusting screw.
Remove the camshaft.
- Uniformly loosen and remove bearing cap bolts in several posses, in the reverse order of the installation sequence.
- Remove the camshaft, oil seal and camshaft bearing. Do not remove the distributor bearing cap.
- Arrange the camshaft bearing caps in correct order.
- Pull up on the top of the rocker arm spring while prying the spring with a suitable tool.
- Remove the rocker arms and arrange them in order. Check the contact surface for any signs of pitting or wear. Replace if necessary.
- Check that the adjusting screw is as shown and install a new spring to the rocker arm.
Press the bottom lip of the spring until it fits into the groove on the rocker arm pivot.
NOTEPut the valve adjusting screw in the rocker arm pivot.
Pry the rocker spring clip onto the pivot. Pull the rocker arm up and down to check that there is spring tension and that the rocker does not rattle. Adjust the valves as necessary.