Adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Remove the cylinder head covers.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with the timing mark 0 of the No. 1 timing cover.
- Check that the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets are in alignment with the marks on the No. 4 timing cover. If not, turn the crankshaft 1 complete revolution (360° degrees).
- Measure the clearance between the valve lifter and the camshaft. Record the measurements on the intake valves No. 1 and 2. Measure the exhaust valves at No. 1 and 3.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley one revolution (360°) and align the groove with the timing mark 0 of the No.1 timing belt cover.
- Measure the clearance between the valve lifter and the camshaft. Record the measurements on the intake valves No. 3 and 4. Measure the exhaust valves at No. 2 and 4.
To adjust the valve clearance:
- Remove the adjusting shim and turn the crankshaft to position the cam lobe of the camshaft on the valve to be adjusted upward.
- Turn the valve lifter so that the notch is perpendicular to the camshaft and facing the spark plug side.
- Using SST 09248-55040 (valve lifter press) or equivalent, hold the camshaft in place.
- Using SST 09248-55040 (valve lifter press) or equivalent, press down the valve lifter and place SST 09248-05420 (valve lifter stopper) or equivalent between the camshaft and valve lifter.
- Remove the SST 09248-44040 tool.
- Using a small screwdriver and a magnetic finger, remove the adjusting shim.
Determine the replacement adjusting shim size by either using the chart or the following formula:
Intake-N=T+A-0.008 in. (0.20mm)
- Install a new shim.
- Recheck the valve clearance.
- Install the cylinder head covers.
- Connect the negative battery cable.