Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the cotter pin from the bearing locknut cap and then remove the cap.
- Depress the brake pedal and loosen the axle nut.
- Remove the brake caliper attaching hardware, position the caliper aside with the hydraulic line still attached and suspend it with a wire.
- Remove the ABS speed sensor, if equipped.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Loosen the two nuts holding the strut to the steering knuckle assembly. Do not remove at this time.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut from the tie rod end. Using a tie rod end removal tool, separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the ball joint bolt and two nuts to disconnect the steering knuckle from the lower arm.
- Remove the two nuts and bolts holding the strut to the steering knuckle and separate the knuckle from the strut assembly.
Remove the axle nut and grasp the hub and knuckle assembly. With a plastic hammer tap the axle shaft to remove knuckle and hub.
NOTECover the halfshaft boot with a shop rag to protect it from any damage.
Clamp the steering knuckle in a vise and remove the dust deflector. Remove the nut holding the steering knuckle to the ball joint. Press the ball joint out of the steering knuckle.
- Reattach the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Tighten the ball joint-to-steering knuckle nut to 72 ft. lbs. (97 Nm). Install a new cotter pin. Drive the deflector shield onto the knuckle.
- Install the knuckle and hub assembly to the axle and temporarily tighten the axle nut.
- Connect the knuckle assembly to the lower strut bracket. Temporarily insert the mounting bolts from the rear and install the nuts.
- Connect the lower ball joint to the lower arm and tighten the fasteners to 59 ft. lbs. (79 Nm).
- Connect the tie rod end to the knuckle.
- Tighten the bolts on the lower side of the strut assembly.
- If equipped, install the ABS speed sensor.
- Install the brake disc and the caliper.
- Tighten the axle nut.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Have the front end alignment checked.