- Start the engine and run it at idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Remove the cap from the check connector (DLC1) which is usually located in the engine compartment.
Connect the tachometer and timing light to the engine. Connect the tachometer tester probe to terminal IG (-) of the DLC1.
NOTENever allow the tachometer test probe to touch ground as it could result in damage to the igniter and or ignition coil.
NOTENot all tachometers are compatible with this system. Make sure to confirm compatibility of your unit before use.
Using a jumper connector, connect terminals TE
of the DLC1. On the 3E-E engines connect terminals T and E
- Check the idle speed.
- Aim the timing light at the timing indicator and check the ignition timing. Timing should be 10° BTDC at idle.
- If adjustment is necessary, loosen the distributor hold-down bolt and adjust by turning. Tighten the hold-down bolt and recheck the timing.
- Remove the jumper connector. Check that the ignition timing advances.
- Disconnect the tachometer and timing light from the engine.