Removal & Installation
The Air Bag System must be disarmed before performing this procedure. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Unscrew the retaining screws and remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
- Remove the retaining screws and remove the steering column trim.
- Turn the ignition key to the ACC position.
Push the lock cylinder stop in with a small, round object (cotter pin, punch, etc.) and pull out the ignition key and the lock cylinder.
NOTEYou may find that removing the steering wheel and the combination switch makes the job easier.
- Make sure that both the lock cylinder and the column lock are in the ACC position. Slide the cylinder into the lock housing until the stop tab engages the hole in the lock.
- Make certain the stop tab is firmly seated in the slot. Turn the key to each switch position, checking for smoothness of motions and a positive feel. Remove and insert the key a few times, each time turning the key to each switch position.
- If removed, install the combination switch and the steering wheel.
- Install the steering column trim and the upper and lower column covers.
- Connect the negative battery cable.