Removal & Installation
- Remove the wiper arms and cowl louver.
Remove the front pillar garnishes. Carefully pry the trim from the retaining clips, then pull the trim upwards to remove the it.
Remove the inner rear view mirror by unfastening the two bolts, then carefully removing it.
WARNINGBe very careful not to damage the body when cutting off the molding.
- Remove the windshield molding:
Remove the windshield glass, as follows:
Push piano wire through from the interior. Tie both ends of the wire to wooden blocks. Apply adhesive tape to the outer surface to keep the surface from being scratched.
NOTEWhen cutting, take care not to damage the paint and interior/exterior ornaments. To prevent scratching the dash panel when removing the windshield, place a plastic sheet between the piano wire and dash panel.
Cut the adhesive by pulling the piano wire around it. Leave as much of the adhesive on the body as possible when cutting off the glass.
With the help of an assistant, remove the glass.
- Push piano wire through from the interior. Tie both ends of the wire to wooden blocks. Apply adhesive tape to the outer surface to keep the surface from being scratched.
Clean the shape the contact surface of the body:
Cut away any rough areas of the urethane layer on the body with a knife. Clean the contact surface with alcohol.
NOTELeave as much urethane on the body as possible.
- Clean the cutting surface of the urethane gum with a piece of shop rag saturated in suitable cleaner. Even if all the urethane has been removed, clean the body.
- Cut away any rough areas of the urethane layer on the body with a knife. Clean the contact surface with alcohol.
- Clean the removed glass before installation:
- With the help of an assistant, carefully place the glass in position:
- Once again, clean the contact surface of the glass with a suitable cleaner. Do not touch the glass after cleaning it.
Install the windshield dam with double-stick tape, as shown in the illustration. Do NOT touch the glass face after cleaning it.
Using a brush, coat the contact surface of the body with primer -M- and note the following:
- Let the primer coating dry for a minimum of 3 minutes.
- Do not coat Primer M to the adhesive.
- Do not keep any of the opened Primer M for later use.
- Using a brush or sponge, coat the edge of the glass and the contact surface Primer -G-. Wipe if off with a clean shop rag before the primer dries and note the following:
Mix the adhesive coating:
NOTEMake sure installation of the glass is finished within the usable time. The mixture should be made in 5 minutes or less.
- Thoroughly clean the glass plate and putty spatula with solvent.
- Thoroughly mix 500 g (17.64 oz.) of the main agent and 2.65 oz. (75 g) of the hardening agent on a glass plate or like object with a putty spatula.
Apply adhesive, as follows:
- Cut off the tip of the cartridge nozzle to make a hole 0.020 in. (5mm) in diameter. Fill the cartridge with adhesive.
- Load the cartridge into the sealer gun.
- Coat the glass with adhesive on all contact surfaces along the ridge. Note the following:
Install the windshield, as follows:
With an assistant, position the glass so the reference marks are lined up, then press in gently around the rim of the contact areas to seat the glass.
- Using a spatula, apply adhesive around the glass rim.
- Use the spatula to remove the any excess or protruding adhesive.
- Fasten the glass securely until the adhesive sets.
- With an assistant, position the glass so the reference marks are lined up, then press in gently around the rim of the contact areas to seat the glass.
After the adhesive has hardened, water test the windshield for leaks. Seal any leaks with a suitable adhesive or auto glass sealer.
- Install the windshield molding as follows:
- Install the interior trim and components removed earlier.
- Install the cowl trim, wiper arms and hood.