The rear brake system, including brake linings, should be in good condition and properly adjusted prior to performing this adjustment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Slowly pull the parking brake lever upward (without depressing the button on the end of it) while counting the number of notches required until the parking brake is applied.
- The optimal setting is 5 to 8 clicks.
- If the brake system requires adjustment, remove the console box and loosen the cable adjusting nut cap. The adjusting cap is located at the rear of the parking brake lever.
- Take up the slack in the parking brake cable by rotating the adjusting nut with another open end wrench.
- Tighten the adjusting cap, using care not to disturb the setting of the adjusting nut.
- Check the rotation of the rear wheels to be sure that the brakes are not dragging with the parking brake released.
- Install the console box.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.