Toyota Tercel 1995-1996
Any time the power steering system has been opened or disassembled, the system must be bled to remove any air which may be trapped in the lines. Air will prevent the system from providing the correct pressures to the rack. The correct fluid level reading will not be obtained if the system is not bled.
- With the engine running, turn the wheel all the way to the left and shut off the engine.
- Add power steering fluid to the COLD mark on the indicator.
- Start the engine and run at fast idle for about 15 seconds. Stop the engine and recheck the fluid level. Add to the COLD mark as needed.
- Start the engine and bleed the system by turning the wheels from left to right 3 or 4 times.
- Stop the engine and check the fluid level and condition. Fluid with air in it is a light tan color. This air must be eliminated from the system before normal operation can be obtained. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until the correct fluid color and fluid level is obtained.