With Air Bag
Toyota Tercel 1995-1996
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds from the time the negative battery cable is disconnected to start any work.
- Position the front wheels in a straight ahead position.
Remove the small covers behind the wheel. Loosen the Torx® screws until the groove along the screw circumference catches on the screw case.
Pull the wheel pad away from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag connector.
NOTEWhen removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the air bag harness connector. When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
- Disconnect the wire and remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and mainshaft.
- Remove the steering wheel with a suitable puller.
Check that the front wheels are facing straight ahead. Center the spiral cable. When centering the spiral cable be sure to use the following procedure:
- Check that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
- Turn the spiral cable counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn the cable. The spiral cable will rotate approximately three turns to either the left or right of the center.
- Then rotate the spiral cable clockwise approximately three turns to align the red mark.
Align the matchmarks and install the steering wheel. Tighten the nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Engage the connector.
Install the steering wheel pad after confirming that the circumference groove of the screws is caught on the screw case.
NOTEMake sure the wheel pad is installed to the specified torque. If the wheel pad has been dropped, or there are cracks, dents or other defects in the case or connector, replace the wheel pad with a new one. When installing the wheel pad, be sure the wires and connectors do not interfere with other parts and are not pinched between other parts.
- Tighten the screws to the steering wheel pad to 65 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
- Install the screw covers.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.
Without Air Bag
Toyota Tercel 1995-1996
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the screw located at the bottom of the steering pad.
- Remove the three clips.
- Remove the steering pad from the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel and nut. Tighten the nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel pad and connect the three clips and crew.
- Connect the battery cable and check operation.