3E-E & 5E-FE Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Drain the cooling system.
- On the 5E-FE engine, remove the air intake duct.
- If necessary, remove the upper radiator or lower hose.
- If equipped with a thermoswitch in the thermostat housing, unplug the lead wire.
- Remove the thermostat housing by removing the two nuts.
- Remove the gasket and thermostat from the engine.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces.
Be sure to use a new thermostat gasket. Install the thermostat with the spring inside the engine block. Align the juggle valve on the thermostat with the protrusion on the thermostat housing.
- Install the thermostat housing and retaining bolts. On the 3E-E and 5E-FE engines, torque the nuts to 43 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the upper radiator or lower hose.
- Connect the air intake duct.
- Connect any wire connectors previously removed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system properly.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.