Completely disassemble the oil pump and thoroughly clean all of the components. Inspect the oil pump gears and housing for wear and/or damage. Insure that the pressure relief valve operates properly and there is no binding or sticking due to varnish or debris. If all of the parts are in proper working condition, lubricate the gears and relief valve, and assemble the pump.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve covers, timing chain cover, and oil pan. Refer to the procedures in this Section.
- Remove the timing chains according to the procedure in this Section.
- Remove the 4 bolts retaining the oil pump to the cylinder block and remove the pump.
- Remove the 2 bolts retaining the oil pickup tube to the oil pump and remove the bolt retaining the oil pickup tube to the main bearing stud spacer. Remove the pickup tube.
- Clean the oil pickup tube and replace the O-ring.
- Position the tube on the oil pump and hand-start the 2 bolts. Install the bolt retaining the pickup tube to the main bearing stud spacer hand tight.
- Tighten the pickup tube-to-oil pump bolts to 6.0-8.8 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm). Tighten the pickup tube to main bearing stud spacer bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Rotate the inner rotor of the oil pump to align with the flats on the crankshaft and install the oil pump flush with the cylinder block. Install the 4 retaining bolts and tighten to 6.0-8.8 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Install a new oil filter. Install the timing chains.
- Install the oil pan, front cover and camshaft covers.
- Fill the crankcase with the proper type and quantity of engine oil. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine, and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the oil pan; see the procedure in this Section.
- Remove the oil pump inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Remove the oil pump attaching bolts and gasket. Remove the oil pump intermediate shaft.
- Prime the oil pump by filling either the inlet or outlet ports with engine oil and rotating the pump shaft to distribute the oil within the pump body.
- Position the intermediate driveshaft into the distributor socket. With the shaft firmly seated in the distributor socket, the stop on the shaft should touch the roof of the crankcase. Remove the shaft and position the stop, as necessary.
- Position a new gasket on the pump body, insert the intermediate shaft into the oil pump, and install the pump and shaft as an assembly.
- Tighten the oil pump attaching bolts to 22-32 ft. lbs. (30-43 Nm).
- Clean and install the oil pump inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Install the oil pan and the remaining components in the reverse order of removal. Start the engine and check for leaks.