The control arm bushings are integral with the lower control arm. If the bushings are defective, the entire lower control arm must be replaced.
Removal & Installation
- Raise the front of the vehicle and position safety stands on the frame behind the lower control arms. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper and suspend with a length of wire; do not let the caliper hang by the brake hose. Remove the brake rotor and dust shield. Remove the anti-lock brake sensor, if equipped.
- Remove the jounce bumper; inspect and save for installation if in good condition. Remove the shock absorber.
- On 1988-91 vehicles, disconnect the stabilizer link from the lower arm.
- Disconnect the steering center link from the pitman arm.
- Remove the cotter pin and loosen the lower ball joint stud nut 1-2 turns.
- On 1988-91 vehicles, install a suitable ball joint press tool to place the ball joint stud under compression. With the stud under compression, tap the spindle sharply with a hammer to loosen the stud in the spindle. Remove the ball joint press tool.
- On 1992-99 vehicles, tap the spindle boss sharply to relieve the stud pressure. Tap the spindle sharply, near the lower stud, with a hammer to loosen the stud in the spindle.
- Place a floor jack under the lower arm. Remove the coil spring as described in this Section.
- Remove the ball joint nut and remove the lower control arm.
- Position the arm assembly ball joint stud into the spindle and install the nut. Tighten to 80-120 ft. lbs. (108-163 Nm). Continue to tighten until the slot for the cotter pin is aligned. Install a new cotter pin.
- Position the coil spring into the upper spring pocket and raise the lower arm, aligning the holes in the arm with the holes in the crossmember. Install the bolts and nuts with the washer installed on the front bushing. Do not tighten at this time.
- Remove the spring compressor tool.
- Connect the steering center link at the pitman arm and install the nut. Tighten to 44-46 ft. lbs. (59-63 Nm). Continue to tighten until the slot for the cotter pin is aligned. Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the shock absorber and the jounce bumper.
- Install the dust shield, rotor and caliper. Install the anti-lock brake sensor, if equipped.
- On 1988-91 vehicles, position the stabilizer link to the lower control arm and install the link, bushing and retaining nut. Tighten to 9-15 ft. lbs. (12-20 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle. With the vehicle supported on the wheels and tires at normal curb height, tighten the lower control arm-to-crossmember bolts to 109-140 ft. lbs. (148-190 Nm).
- Check the front end alignment.