Description & Operation
This switch shuts off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. Once the switch has been tripped, it must be reset manually in order to start the engine.
The inertia switch is located in the trunk behind the side panel on all models covered by this manual.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the any necessary trim to access the switch.
- Unplug the connector on the inertia switch.
- Remove the retaining bolts and remove the switch.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Resetting The Switch
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Ensure that there is no fuel leaking in the engine compartment, along any of the lines or at the tank. There should be no odor of fuel as well.
- If no leakage and/or odor is apparent, reset the switch by pushing the reset button on the top of the switch. The reset switch is usually accessible through an opening in the kick panel or by reaching over the top of the panel.
- Cycle the ignition switch from the ON to OFF positions several times, allowing five seconds at each position, to build fuel pressure within the system.
- Again, check the fuel system for leaks. There should be no odor of fuel as well.
- If there is no leakage and/or odor of fuel, it is safe to operate the vehicle. However, it is recommended that the entire system be checked by a professional, especially if the vehicle was in an accident severe enough to trip the inertia switch.