Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel and tire assembly and remove the brake drum or brake rotor.
- If equipped, remove the anti-lock brake speed sensor.
- Clean all dirt from the area of the carrier cover. Drain the axle lubricant by removing the housing cover.
- Remove the differential pinion shaft lock bolt and differential pinion shaft.
- Push the flanged end of axle shafts toward the center of the vehicle and remove the C-lock from the button end of the axle shaft. Remove the axle shaft from the housing, being careful not to damage the anti-lock brake sensor ring, if equipped.
- Insert wheel bearing and seal replacer tool T85L-1225-AH or equivalent, in the bore and position it behind the bearing so the tangs on the tool engage the bearing outer race. Remove the bearing and seal as a unit using an impact slide hammer.
- Lubricate the new bearing with rear axle lubricant. Install the bearing into the housing bore using a suitable bearing installer.
- Install a new axle seal using a seal installer.
- Carefully slide the axle shaft into the axle housing, without damaging the bearing/seal assembly or anti-lock brake sensor ring, if equipped. Start the splines into the side gear and push firmly until the button end of the axle shaft can be seen in the differential case.
- Install the C-lock on the button end of the axle shaft splines, then push the shaft outboard until the shaft splines engage and the C-lock seats in the counterbore of the differential side gear.
- Insert the differential pinion shaft through the case and pinion gears, aligning the hole in the shaft with the lock bolt hole. Apply locking compound to the lock bolt and install in the case and pinion shaft. Tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41 Nm).
- Cover the inside of the differential case with a shop rag and clean the machined surface of the carrier and cover. Remove the shop rag.
- Apply a 1 / 8 - 3 / 16 in. wide bead of silicone sealer to the cover and install on the carrier. Tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern. Final torque the cover retaining bolts to 28-35 ft. lbs. (38-47 Nm).
- Add rear axle lubricant to the carrier to a level 1 / 4 - 9 / 16 in. below the bottom of the fill hole. If equipped with limited slip differential, add friction modifier C8AZ-19B564-A or equivalent. Install the filler plug and tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41 Nm).
- Install the anti-lock brake speed sensor, if equipped. Tighten the retaining bolt to 40-60 inch lbs. (4.5-6.8 Nm).
- Install the brake calipers and rotors or the brake drums, as required. Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle.