The air bag system must be disarmed, before working on the system. Failure to do so may result in deployment of the air bag and possible personal injury.
- Center the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Properly disarm the air bag system; see the procedure in Section 6.
- Remove the 4 air bag module retaining nuts and lift the module off the steering wheel. Disconnect the air bag wire harness from the air bag module and remove the module from the steering wheel.
When carrying a live air bag, make sure the bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. When placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the motion of the module if it is accidentally deployed.
- Disconnect the cruise control wire harness from the steering wheel, if equipped.
- Remove and discard the steering wheel bolt. Remove the steering wheel using a suitable puller. Route the contact assembly wire harness through the steering wheel as the wheel is lifted off the shaft.
Do not use a knock-off type steering wheel puller or strike the retaining bolt with a hammer. This could cause damage to the steering shaft bearing.
- Make sure the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
- Route the contact assembly wire harness through the steering wheel opening at the 3 o'clock position and install the steering wheel on the steering shaft. The steering wheel and shaft alignment marks should be aligned. Make sure the air bag contact wire is not pinched.
- Install a new steering wheel retaining bolt and tighten to 23-33 ft. lbs. (31-45 Nm).
- Connect the cruise control wire harness to the wheel and snap the connector assembly into the steering wheel clip. Make sure the wiring is not trapped between the steering wheel and contact assembly.
- Connect the air bag wire harness to the air bag module and install the module to the steering wheel. Tighten the module retaining nuts to 24-32 inch lbs. (2.7-3.7 Nm).
- Enable the air bag system according to the procedure in Section 6.