To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait 2 minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.
The clockspring tapes WILL be damaged if the unit does not remain centered. Such damage is NOT covered under the provisions of the vehicle warranty. If clockspring centering is not maintained during the performance of any vehicle service procedure, the clockspring centering procedure MUST be performed.
Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Remove the clockspring from the steering column.
- Rotate the clockspring rotor (1) clockwise until a slight resistance is felt near the end of its travel. Do not apply excessive torque.
- From the full clockwise rotation, rotate the rotor about 2 1 / 2 turns counterclockwise. The clockspring drive pin (4) should end up near the bottom, and the airbag pigtail wires (3) and connector receptacle should be near the top.
- Turn the rotor slightly clockwise or counterclockwise as necessary so that the arrowheads (5) on the rotor and the clockspring housing (2) are in alignment.
- The clockspring is now centered. Secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case using the original locking pin or adhesive tape to maintain clockspring centering until the steering wheel is reinstalled on the steering column.
The front wheels should still be in the straight-ahead position. Reinstall the clockspring onto the steering column.