Removal & Installation
Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait 2 minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the screws (3) that secure the knee blocker cover (2) to the driver side of the instrument panel (1) and remove the cover.
- Remove the 4 bolts (3) that secure the knee blocker (2) to the instrument panel support (1).
Lift the knee blocker upwards to disengage the retaining tabs that secure the knee blocker to the support and remove the knee blocker.
- Push the tilt lever (3) downward to the released position.
- Remove the 2 screws (1) attaching the upper shroud to the lower shroud.
- Unclip the upper and lower shrouds from one another by applying hand pressure along the seams where the shrouds connect on the sides.
- Remove the upper shroud.
- Remove the remaining screw (2) attaching the lower shroud (4) to the column.
Remove the lower shroud.
- Disconnect the electrical connector on the Multi-Function switch.
Depress the lock tab (1) on the Multi-Function switch and slide the switch upward.
- Install the switch by sliding it into position ensuring that the lock tab (1) engages.
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Push the tilt lever (3) downward (released position).
- Position the column tilt at the full-upward position.
- Install the lower shroud (4) over the tilt lever and onto the column.
- Install the screw (2) attaching the lower shroud (4) to the steering column.
- Position the upper shroud on the column.
- Clip the shrouds to one another.
- Install the 2 screws (1) attaching the lower shroud to the upper shroud.
- Push the tilt lever upward to lock the column in place.
- Install the knee blocker in reverse of removal.
- Connect the negative battery cable, tighten the nut to 45 inch lbs. (5 Nm).