Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the screw (3) securing the parking brake cable routing bracket to the axle.
- Remove the 2 bolts (2) securing the disc brake caliper and adapter bracket (1) to the axle.
- Remove the disc brake caliper and the adapter bracket (1) from the axle and rotor as an assembly.
- Hang the assembly out of way using wire or a bungee cord. Use care not to overextend brake hose when doing this.
Remove any retaining clips, then slide the brake rotor off the hub and bearing.
- Clean the rotor mounting face of the hub and bearing (1) to remove any dirt or corrosion.
Install the brake rotor (2) over the hub and bearing (1).
WARNINGIf the brake rotor or brake pads are being replaced, the rear caliper piston must be seated (bottomed) to compensate for the new brake rotor or lining. Because the parking brake self-adjuster mechanism is attached to the piston, a special seating method is required. The only acceptable method is by rotating the piston back into the bore using Retractor, Special Tool 8807, as described below. Any other seating method will damage the self-adjuster mechanism.
If necessary, seat (bottom) the caliper piston in the bore as follows:
- Assemble a 3 / 8 inch drive ratchet handle and an extension (3).
- Insert the extension through Special Tool 8807-1 (2).
- Place Special Tool 8807-2 (1) on the end of the extension.
- Insert the lugs on Special Tool 8807-2 into the notches in the face of the caliper piston (5).
- Thread the screw drive on Special Tool 8807-1 down until it contacts the top of Special Tool 8807-2 which is against the caliper piston. Do not over tighten the screw-drive. Damage to the piston can occur.
Turn Special Tool 8807-2 with the ratchet, rotating the piston in a clockwise direction until it is fully seated (bottomed) in the bore. It may be necessary to turn Special Tool 8807-1 with Special Tool 8807-2 to start the process of piston retraction.
- Install the disc brake caliper and adapter bracket (1) over the axle and rotor as an assembly.
- Install the 2 bolts (2) securing the disc brake caliper and the adapter bracket (1) to the axle. Tighten the mounting bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Position the parking brake cable routing bracket to the axle and install the screw securing it in place. Tighten the screw to 55 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly and tighten the wheel mounting nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Pump the brake pedal several times to ensure the vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving the vehicle.
- Check and adjust the brake fluid level, as necessary.
- Road test the vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on the brakes and to seat the brake pads.