- Connect the hand-held tester to the DLC3.
- Turn the ignition switch ON.
- When turning the accelerator pedal position sensor lever to the full-open position, check that the percentage of throttle valve opening angle. Standard percentage of the valve opening angle: 60 percent or more
- If operation is not as specified, check that the accelerator pedal position sensor, the wiring and the ECM.
- Detach the Throttle Position (TP) sensor connector.
- Apply vacuum to the throttle opener.
- Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between each terminal.
- Confirm that the throttle valve is fully closed.
- Connect an ohmmeter to terminals IDL and E2 .
On 1997 5VZ-FE engines only:
- Insert a 0.013 in. (0.32mm) thick feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and lever. Check for continuity between terminals VTA and E2 of the sensor. Resistance should be 0.2-5.7 kohms.
- Insert a 0.021 in. (0.54mm) thick feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and lever. Check for continuity between terminals VTA and E2 of the sensor. No continuity should be present.
- On all other model years using the 5VZ-FE engine, simply verify that the throttle valve is either fully closed or fully open to obtain the indicated resistance readings.
- If the resistance is not as specified, replace the TP sensor.