The engine coolant temperature sensor is located on the right rear water bypass joint on 4.0L (1GR-FE) and 4.7L (2UZ-FE) Engines. On 3.4L (5VZ-FE) Engines, the engine coolant temperature sensor is located on the coolant hose inlet housing in the front of the engine.
- Drain the coolant from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the heater hose if necessary for clearance.
- Disconnect the sensor wire.
- Using a deep socket, remove the sensor and gasket.
- Apply a thin coat of Loctite® or equivalent to the switch. By hand, carefully thread the switch into the engine. If resistance is felt at all, remove the switch and inspect the threads for any damage. Continue to install the switch. Once installed, tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the sensor wiring.
- Reconnect the heater hose, if removed.
Refill the coolant. Start the engine and check for leaks.