Removal & Installation
- Remove the timing chain.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the transmission oil filler tube.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the fuel pipes.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Remove the water by-pass joint.
- Remove the right camshaft timing gears and chain. Insert a 1mm diameter pin into the tensioner hole to retain it.
- Remove the tensioner.
- Loosen the bolts in several steps, in the sequence shown and remove the camshafts. Keep the caps in order.
- Remove the ground cables.
- Loosen the head bolts in several steps, in the sequence shown.
- Lift the head from the block. Discard the gasket.
- Clean the mating surfaces thoroughly, without scratching.
- Inspect each head bolt. Using a caliper, measure the thread outside diameter. Standard diameter is 0.4272-0.4331 inch (10.85-11.00mm). Minimum diameter is 0.421 inch (10.7mm).
- Carefully remove any old silicone gasket material.
- Apply a continuous 3mm diameter bead of gasket material 08826-00080, or equivalent, to the gasket as shown.
- Position a new gasket on the block with the lot number facing up.
- Install the head. Lightly oil each head bolt with clean engine oil. Tighten the bolts, in several even passes, to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Using a torque angle gauge, tighten each bolt, in sequence, an additional 180 degrees. If an angle gauge is not available, make a paint mark on each bolt head and the cylinder head, and tighten each bolt 180 degrees.
- Install the camshafts.
- Turn the crankshaft so that the crankshaft key is at the 9:00 o-clock position.
- Place the camshafts on the head as shown.
Install the bearing caps.
- Tighten the cap bolts, in several even passes, in the sequence shown, to 80 inch lbs (9 Nm) for 10mm bolts; 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) for 12mm bolts.
- Turn the camshafts clockwise until the knock pin is in a position 90 degrees to the head.
- Install the tensioner. Torque to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the chain aligning the yellow links with the timing marks on the gears.
- Align the timing marks on the timing gears with the marks on the bearing caps, and install the gear/chain assembly. Torque the bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the water bypass joint. Apply soapy water to the new O-ring and using 2 new gaskets. Torque the 2 bolts and 4 nuts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the intake manifold, using new gaskets. Torque the 10 bolts, in several even passes, to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Connect the fuel lines.
- Install the exhaust manifold. Torque to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Torque the manifold stay to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.