Removal & Installation
- If the engine is installed in the vehicle, remove the transmission.
- Remove the clutch assembly, if equipped with manual transmission.
- Make reference matchmarks on the flywheel and crankshaft end. A pin-punch is suggested, since chalk or paint marks may get erased during cleaning.
- Loosen the bolts holding the flywheel or driveplate a little at a time and in a crisscross pattern. Remove the flywheel. A manual transmission flywheel is heavy so use caution to protect yourself and the components. Protect the flywheel and ring-gear from damage or impact.
- Thoroughly clean the flywheel bolts. Coat the first three or four threads of each bolt with thread-locking compound. Install the flywheel, aligning the previously made marks. Install the bolts finger-tight.
Tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern and in several passes to the correct tightness:
2RZ-FE engine with manual transmission: 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm)
- Reinstall the transmission.