Toyota's hand-held tester or an equivalent OBD-II scan tool must be used for this procedure.
- Warm the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Connect an OBD-II compliant scan tool to the DLC3, located under the instrument panel on the driver's side. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Driveability and Emission Controls, Reading Codes.
- Shift the transmission to the N position.
- Connect the tester probe of a timing light to the wire of the ignition coil connector for No. 1 cylinder.
- Race the engine speed to 2500 rpm for approximately 90 seconds. Allow the engine speed to return to idle, which should be 650-750 rpm.
If not using a hand-held tester or an equivalent OBD-II scan tool, use SST 09843-18020, or its equivalent jumper wire, and connect the following terminals:
- 3.4L (5VZ-FE) Engine: TC and E1 of the DLC1 under the hood
- 4.0L (1GR-FE) and 2UZ-FE Engine: TC and CG of the DLC3
- Using a timing light, check the ignition timing. It should be 8-12° BTDC at idle.