Removal & Installation
Disarm the SRS system. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): -CHASSIS ELECTRICAL, Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System)-.
CAUTIONWork must NOT be started until after 90 seconds from the time the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative battery cable is disconnected from the battery. The SRS is equipped with a back-up power source so that if the work is started within the 90 seconds of disconnecting the negative terminal, the SRS may be deployed.
- Turn the ignition OFF and remove the key from the ignition.
- Remove the steering wheel pad and remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers. Remove the combination switch.
- Unplug the ignition wiring harness connector.
- If only the electrical switch needs replacement, remove the retaining screw at the back of the lock housing and remove the switch. If the automatic transmission interlock relay must be changed, it may be unbolted from the housing; don't lose the spring and lock pin.
If the key lock assembly is to be changed, place the key in the switch and turn the key to the
position. Insert a thin rod in the hole at the bottom of the housing and press the stop tab inward. While holding the tab in, pull the cylinder out of the housing.
- Install the new lock cylinder if necessary, making certain the key is in the ACC position before installation. Insert the cylinder and be sure the stop tab engages the hole. Once installed, turn the switch OFF and remove the key.
- Align the electrical switch with the back of the key cylinder. Install the retaining screw.
- Attach the wiring harness connector. Make certain the harness is correctly routed and held by its clamps and clips.
- Install the combination switch.
- Install the steering wheel. Install the upper and lower steering column covers.
- Operate the ignition switch in all positions, checking for correct function and lack of binding.