- Remove the hole access plug, and turn the adjuster and expand the shoes until the disc locks.
- Contract the shoe adjuster until the disc rotates smoothly. Standard : Return 8 notches
- Check the shoe has no brake drag.
Install the hole plug.
Removal & Installation
The rear drum brake shoes serve as the parking brakes. Refer to the procedures under Brake Shoes.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
Remove the rear caliper assembly.
NOTEEnsure the parking brake is released.
- Remove the rear disc.
- Using a needle-nose pliers, remove the two return tension springs.
- Slide out the front shoe and remove the compression spring.
- Remove the parking brake shoe strut.
- Release the cup claw and remove the front and rear parking brake shoe.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the shoe lever.
- Remove the tension spring and shoe adjuster screw set from the front and rear shoe.
- Remove the 2 shoe hold-down springs, 4 cups and 2 pins.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the C-washer.
- Remove the shim and shoe lever from the parking brake shoe.
- Inspect the parking brake shoe lining thickness. Standard thickness is 0.158 in. (4 mm) and minimum thickness is 0.039 in. (1 mm). If the lining thickness is at the minimum thickness or less, or if there is severe or uneven wear, replace the brake shoe.
- Apply the high temperature grease to the shoe attached surface of backing plate indicated by the arrows in the illustration.
- Install the shoe lever and the shim to the rear shoe with a new C-washer.
- Apply the high temperature grease to the adjusting bolt and piece.
- Install the shoe adjusting screw set and the tension spring to the front and rear shoe.
- Install the two pins, four cups and two shoe hold-down springs.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the shoe lever.
- Install the front and rear parking brake shoe.
- Install the parking brake shoe strut and shoe strut compression spring.
Using a needle nose pliers, install the return tension springs.
NOTEInstall front side spring first, rear side spring next.
- Adjust the parking brake shoe clearance as necessary.
- Install the rear caliper assembly.
- Install the rear wheel and lower the vehicle. Tighten the lug nuts.
Bleed the brake system if the brake line was disconnected and road test the vehicle.