Remove the steering wheel assembly before the steering gear removal, because there is possibility of breaking of the spiral cable.
Disarm the SRS system. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): -CHASSIS ELECTRICAL, Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System)-.
CAUTIONWork must NOT be started until after 90 seconds from the time the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative battery cable is disconnected from the battery. The SRS is equipped with a back-up power source so that if the work is started within the 90 seconds of disconnecting the negative terminal, the SRS may be deployed.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the steering wheel. For additional information, see the following topic: -Steering Wheel, Removal & Installation-.
- Remove the turn signal switch assembly.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the engine under covers.
- Remove the front stabilizer bar.
- Separate the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
Place matchmarks on the power steering gear and steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly. Remove the bolt C and intermediate shaft from the power steering gear.
- Disconnect the power steering hoses.
Remove the steering gear mounting bolts. After the nuts are removed, raise the bolt from the frame, and slide the steering gear assembly and the bolt as a unit to the position where the bolt can be pulled out, and then remove the bolt.
NOTEThe nut has a detent and should not be turned. Always turn only the bolt.
- Insert the bolt and slide it with the steering gear assembly as a unit and then install the bolt on the frame. Tighten the bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the front stabilizer bar.
- Connect the power steering hoses.
- Align the matchmarks on the power steering gear and steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly. Install the steering intermediate shaft to the steering gear box with the bolt C.
- Connect the tie rod ends to the wheel knuckle.
- Install the engine under covers and front wheel.
- Lower the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts to 81 ft. lbs. (110 Nm).
- Install the turn signal switch assembly.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Have the alignment checked at a reputable repair facility.