- Lightly pull the bellcrank in direction A until there is no slack at B . Turn the adjusting bolt so that C will be 0.016-0.031 in. (0.4-0.8mm). Lock the adjusting bolt with the locknut.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the bellcrank and install the tension spring.
- Check that the parking brake lever (inside the truck) travel is correct and that the adjuster turns while pulling the lever.
- Turn the adjuster to the shortest possible length and install the brake drum. Pull the parking brake lever out until the clicks stop.
- Remove the brake drum and check that the difference between the inner brake drum diameter and the outer brake shoe diameter is no more than 0.024 in. (0.6mm).
- Install the brake drum. Install the wheels and lower the truck. Bleed the brakes and road test the vehicle.
Removal & Installation
- Loosen the rear wheel lug nuts slightly.
- Block the front wheels, raise the rear of the vehicle, and safely support it with jackstands.
- Remove the wheel lug nuts and the wheel.
- Remove the brake drum.
If the drum is difficult to remove, perform the following:
- Insert a flat prying tool through the hole in the brake drum and hold the automatic adjusting lever away from the adjuster.
- Reduce the brake shoe adjustment by turning the adjuster bolt with a brake tool.
- The drum should now be loose enough to remove without much effort.
Remove the rear shoe.
- Carefully unhook the return spring from the brake shoe.
- Remove the shoe hold-down spring, cups and the pin.
- Disconnect the anchor spring from the rear shoe and remove the rear shoe.
- Disconnect the anchor spring from the front shoe.
Remove the front shoe.
- Remove the shoe hold-down spring, cups and pin.
- Remove the return spring from the front shoe.
- Remove the front shoe with the adjuster.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the front shoe.
- Inspect the shoes for signs of unusual wear or scoring.
- Check the wheel cylinder for any sign of fluid seepage or frozen pistons.
- Clean and inspect the brake backing plate and all other components. Check that the brake drum inner diameter is within specified limits. Lubricate the backing plate at the positions the brakes come in contact with the backing plate. Also lubricate the anchor plate.
- Mount the automatic adjuster assembly onto a new rear brake shoe.
Install the front shoe.
- Install the parking brake cable to the front shoe.
- Install the front shoe with the adjuster.
- Install the return spring to the front shoe.
- Install the shoe hold-down spring, cups and pin.
Install the rear shoe.
- Install the anchor spring to the front shoe.
- Install the anchor spring to the rear shoe and install the rear shoe.
- Install the shoe hold-down spring, cups and the pin.
- Hook the return spring to the brake shoe.
- Install the brake drum.
- Adjust the brake shoes until a slight drag is felt when the drum is spun by hand.
- Remove the brake drum and check the clearance between brake shoes and brake drum. Adjust the clearance to specification.
- Pull the parking lever all the way up until a clicking sound can no longer be heard. Verify that the drum doesn't turn. If the drum turns, adjust the parking brake cable.
- Install the rear wheels, tighten the wheel lug nuts and lower the vehicle.
- Retighten the wheel lug nuts and pump the brake pedal a few times before moving the vehicle. Adjust the rear brakes again if necessary.
- Check the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder, then perform a test drive.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.
- Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Remove the tension (return) spring.
- Remove the rear shoe hold-down spring and pin and then lift out the rear shoe and anchor spring.
- Remove the front shoe hold-down spring and pin. Disconnect the parking brake cable at the bellcrank.
Remove the automatic adjusting lever and parking brake lever as follows:
- Remove the E-clip.
- Remove the automatic adjusting lever.
- Spread and remove the C-washer.
- Remove the parking brake lever.
- Remove the front shoe with the strut. Disconnect the other parking brake cable.
- Disconnect the adjusting lever spring and remove the adjuster from the front shoe.
Assemble and install the parking brake bellcrank as follows:
- Apply grease to the rotating parts of the bellcrank.
- Install the parking brake bellcrank to the bellcrank bracket.
- Install the pin with a new C-clip and tighten it.
- Install the bellcrank boot to the parking brake bracket.
- Install the parking brake bellcrank and dust cover on the backing plate.
- Apply high-temperature grease to the brake backing plate contact surfaces and also to the threads of the adjuster.
- Position the parking brake lever and the automatic adjuster. Use new clips and tighten the C-clip.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the shoe lever. Attach the other side of the cable to the bellcrank. Position the front shoe so the upper end is in the piston rod and install the hold-down spring and pin.
- Connect the anchor spring to the front shoe, then stretch it onto the rear shoe. Position the rear shoe and install the hold-down spring and pin.
- Install the tension spring.