- Disarm the SRS system. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): -CHASSIS ELECTRICAL, Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System)-.
On models without tilt steering, proceed as follows:
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the two steering wheel lower covers. Using a Torx® driver, loosen the Torx® screws until the groove along the screw circumference catches on the screw case.
Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel, then detach the air bag connector.
WARNINGAlways keep the upper surface of the wheel pad facing upward. Never store the wheel pad face down.
- Remove the steering wheel set nut. A special wheel puller may be needed. Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and mainshaft assembly. Remove the wheel.
Unplug the harness.
Align the matchmarks on the wheel and the mainshaft. Tighten the wheel set nut as follows:
- 2001-02 Models: to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm)
- 2003-05 Models: to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Attach the harness.
- Attach the air bag harness, then install the wheel pad after confirming that the circumference groove of the Torx® screw is caught on the screw case.
- Using a Torx® driver, tighten the screws to 78 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel covers.
- Check the steering wheel center point.