- Remove the screw and disconnect the transfer shift lever knob. Remove the upper console panel. Disconnect the one touch 2 - 4 selector connector and remove the transfer shift lever knob. Remove the upper console panel garnish. From underneath the vehicle, remove the nut and washer, and disconnect the shift control rod.
Disconnect the connector and remove the 8 bolts and transmission shift lever assembly. Using pliers, remove the snap ring and pull out the transfer shift lever.
NOTEShift the transfer shift lever to the -H- position and one touch 2-4 selector switch OFF .
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the transfer case oil.
- Remove the front and rear driveshafts.
- Remove the dynamic damper.
- Using a suitable transmission jack, support the transfer case.
- Remove the crossmember that supports the transfer case.
- Disconnect the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), Neutral Position switch, L4 position switch, motor actuator and 4WD position switch connectors. Disconnect the breather hose.
- Remove the rear crossmember.
- Using another suitable transmission jack, support the transmission assembly.
- Remove the eight transfer case-to-transmission mounting bolts.
- Slowly lower the transfer case down from the vehicle.
- Raise the transfer case into the vehicle and install it to the transmission. Use care not to damage the lip of the transfer adapter rear oil seal with the transfer input shaft. Tighten the mounting bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Install the rear crossmember and tighten the bolts to 53 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- Connect the breather hose and VSS, Neutral Position switch, L4 position switch, motor actuator and 4WD position switch connectors.
- Install the crossmember that supports the transfer case. Tighten the bolts that connect to the transmission mount to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) and the bolts that connect to the frame to 53 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).
- install the dynamic damper. Tighten the bolts to 28 ft. lbs. (38 Nm).
- Install the front and rear driveshafts.
- Fill the transfer case with oil. The oil level should come within 0.20 inches (5 mm) of the bottom of the fill plug. Tighten the plugs to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Connect the transfer case shift linkage in the reverse order of removal.
- Start the engine and check for leaks and smooth shift operation.
The transmission and transfer case must be removed as an assembly. For additional information, see the following topic: -Automatic Transmission Assembly, Removal & Installation-.
With the transmission/transfer case assembly removed, removing the eight mounting bolts and two clamps to separate the transfer case from the transmission. When reinstalling the transfer case to the transmission, tighten the mounting bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).