Removal & Installation
Remove or disconnect the following:
RH front fender apron seal
Remove the timing belt
Set the No 1 cylinder to TDC/compression
If reusing the timing belt make certain there are 3 location marks on the timing belt corresponding with the marks on the timing gears.
Set the No 1 cylinder to approximately 60 degrees BTDC/compression. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise by approximately 60 degrees.
Remove the timing belt in the following order.
No 1 idler pulley
- Inspect the timing belt
After inspecting the pulleys for wear and checking for oil leaks install the timing belt using the following procedure.
Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley bolt
- Install the timing belt tensioner using the following procedure
- Slowly turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions clockwise.
- Check to see that all timing marks are in alignment.
- Remove the crankshaft bolt
- Install the timing belt guide
- Install all remaining components in the reverse order of removal.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove all necessary components for access to the timing belt covers.
- Remove the No. 2 timing cover.
- Position the No. 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke by turning the crankshaft pulley and aligning its groove with the timing mark0
Remove the timing belt from the camshaft timing pulley, as follows:
- If reusing the belt, place matchmarks on the timing belt and the camshaft pulley. Loosen the mount bolt of the No. 1 idler pulley and position the pulley toward the left as far as it will go. Tighten the bolt. Remove the belt from the camshaft pulley.
Remove the camshaft timing pulley as follows:
- Using Toyota tools Nos. 09249-63010 and 09960-10010, remove the bolt and the camshaft pulley.
Remove the crankshaft pulley as follows:
- Use Toyota tools Nos. 09213-54015 and 09330-00021 to hold the crankshaft pulley. Remove the pulley set bolt and remove the pulley using a puller.
- Remove the No. 1 timing belt cover.
- Remove the timing belt and the belt guide. If reusing the belt mark the belt and the crankshaft pulley in the direction of engine rotation and matchmark for correct installation.
Install the crankshaft timing pulley, as follows:
- Align the timing pulley set key with the key groove of the pulley.
- Slide on the timing pulley with the flange side facing inward.
- Install the No. 2 idler pulley and tighten the bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm). Be sure that the pulley moves freely.
- Temporarily install the No. 1 idler pulley and tension spring. Pry the pulley toward the left as far as it will go. Tighten the bolt. Be sure that the pulley rotates freely.
Temporarily install the timing belt, as follows:
- Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft and align the timing marks of the crankshaft timing pulley and the oil pump body.
- If reusing the old belt, align the marks made during removal, and install the belt with the arrow pointing in the direction of the engine revolution.
- Install the timing belt guide with the cup side facing outward.
- Install the No. 1 timing belt cover.
- Install the crankshaft pulley. Align the pulley set key with the key groove of the pulley and slide on the pulley. Tighten the bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
Install the camshaft timing pulley as follows:
- Align the camshaft knock pin with the knock pin groove of the pulley and slide on the timing pulley. Tighten the bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
With the No. 1 cylinder set at TDC on the compression stroke, install the timing belt (all timing marks aligned). If reusing the belt, align with the marks made during the removal procedure:
- Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with the timing mark0
- Connect the timing belt to the camshaft timing pulley.
- Check that the matchmark on the timing belt matches the end of the No. 1 timing belt cover.
- Once the belt is installed, be sure that there is tension between the crankshaft timing pulley and the camshaft pulley.
Check the valve timing as follows:
- Loosen the No. 1 idler pulley mount bolt12
- Be sure that the all the timing marks are aligned.
- Slowly turn the crankshaft pulley 178</OVER>
- Tighten the No. 1 idler pulley mount bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
Install the No. 2 timing belt cover as follows:
- Install the upper gasket to the No. 1 timing belt cover.
- Disconnect the engine wire protector between the cylinder head cover and the No. 3 timing belt cover.
- Install the gasket to the timing belt cover.
- Install the belt covers and all remaining components. During assembly, tighten the right engine mount bracket bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm), the engine mount insulator bolt to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm), the through-bolt to 54 ft. lbs. (78 Nm), the power steering reservoir bracket bolt to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm), the power steering reservoir-to-bracket bolt to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm) and the nut to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).