This procedure is for the 4WD models only. The ABS ECU can be located in the engine compartment and trunk area on 2WD models.
See Figures 1 and 2
The following procedures require driving the vehicle while it is in the diagnostic mode. The anti-lock system will be disabled; only normal braking function will be available.
- Check the battery voltage with the engine off; voltage should be approximately 12 volts.
- With the ignition switch ON , make certain the ABS warning lamp comes on for about 3 seconds and then goes out. Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Remove the rubber cap from the Ts connector located in front of the actuator. Use a jumper wire to connect the 2 terminals.
- Apply the parking brake fully, depress the brake pedal and start the engine.
- After a short delay, the ABS dashboard warning lamp should flash about once every second. This is slower than the usual system flashing when transmitting a code.
- Release the parking brake and drive the vehicle straight ahead at 12.4 mph (20 kph) or greater speed. Lightly depress the brake pedal; there should be no change in the flashing dashboard lamp.
- Continue to drive at the same speed and apply the brakes moderately. The warning lamp should stop flashing and remain on during braking only. Once the brake is released, flashing continues at the previous rate.
- Continue driving at the same speed; apply the brakes strongly. The dash warning lamp should remain on during the braking period and change to a rapid flash when the brakes are released.
- If the warning lamp display does not meet specifications, check the installation of the deceleration sensor. It must be correctly and securely installed. If installation is proper, replace the sensor and retest the system.
- Stop the vehicle and turn the ignition switch OFF . Remove the jumper wire from the check connector.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 3
- Remove the ABS ECU cover and the ECU from the mounting bracket.
- Disconnect the wiring from the ECU and remove the computer from the vehicle.
- Remove the 2 mounting screws from the deceleration sensor and remove the sensor from the vehicle.
- Install the sensor to the bracket with the two screws and tighten to 28 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install the connector to the clamp on the bracket. check that the deceleration sensor is installed properly.
- Connect the three harnesses and insert the wiring harness to the clamp.
- Position the computer and install it with the 5 screws, tighten them to 28 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install the computer cover.