REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The A540E and A540H transaxles should be removed along with the engine assembly. Refer to Engine & Engine Rebuilding .
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air flow meter and the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the transaxle wire harness. Disconnect the neutral safety switch electrical harness and the cruise control actuator harness and cover, if equipped.
- Disconnect the transaxle ground strap. Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle linkage and disconnect the speed sensor harnesses, if equipped.
- Remove the transaxle case protector. Disconnect the speedometer cable and control cable.
- Disconnect the oil cooler hoses. Remove the upper starter retaining bolts, as required remove the starter assembly. Remove the upper transaxle housing bolts. Remove the engine rear mount insulator bracket set bolt.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Drain the transaxle fluid.
- Remove the left front fender apron seal. Disconnect both driveshafts and remove the exhaust pipe on 1992 vehicles .
- Remove the suspension lower crossmember assembly. Remove the center driveshaft.
- Remove the engine mounting center crossmember. Remove the stabilizer bar. Remove the left steering knuckle from the lower control arm.
- Remove the torque converter cover. Remove the torque converter retaining bolts. On 1992 vehicles, remove the steering gear housing.
- Properly support the engine and transaxle assembly. Remove the rear engine mounting bolts. Remove the remaining transaxle to engine retaining bolts.
- Carefully remove the transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the transaxle and tighten the 12mm transaxle housing bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm); tighten the 10mm bolts to 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm). Tighten the rear engine mount set bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm). Tighten the torque converter mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Reinstall the components in the reverse order of removal.
- Install the transaxle cables, linkage and halfshafts.
- Refill the transaxle with the approved fluid and check for leaks.
- Lower the vehicle. Road test the vehicle and check operation.
See Figure 2
To inspect the throttle cable operation, remove the air cleaner and depress the accelerator cable all the way. Check that the throttle valve opens fully. If the throttle valve does not open fully, adjust the accelerator link as follows:
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Fully depress the accelerator cable.
- Loosen the adjustment nuts.
- Adjust the cable housing so that the distance between the end of boot and the stopper is 0.04 inch (01mm).
- Tighten the adjusting nuts.
- Recheck the adjustment.
See Figure 3
- Loosen the swivel nut on the manual shaft lever.
- Push the control lever to the right as far as it will go.
- Bring the lever back two notches to the Neutral position.
- Place the shifter in Neutral.
- Hold the lever, lightly, toward the R range side and tighten the swivel nut.