The IAT sensor advises the ECM of changes in intake air temperature (and therefore air density). As air temperature of the intake varies, the ECM, by monitoring the voltage change, adjusts the amount of fuel injection according to the air temperature.
See Figure 1
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the IAT sensor.
- Measure the resistance between the sensor terminals.
- Compare the resistance reading with the accompanying chart.
- If the resistance is not within specification, the IAT may be faulty.
- Heat the IAT sensor with a blow dryer while checking the resistance. Resistance should drop steadily. Any sudden changes in resistance can indicate a faulty sensor.
- Connect the wiring harness to the sensor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
- Remove the air cleaner cover.
- With the ignition OFF , unplug the electrical connector.
- Push the IAT sensor out from inside the air cleaner housing.
- Install the sensor, making sure it is properly placed and secure.
- Connect the wiring harness, and install the air cleaner cover.