REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
This procedure applies to 1MZ-FE engines only.
- Remove the battery and battery tray.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable on automatic transaxles. Disconnect the throttle cable.
- Remove the air cleaner cap assembly. Disconnect and label any wiring or hoses interfering with removal.
- Remove the V-bank cover.
- Disconnect the heater hoses in the way of the intake manifold removal.
- Disconnect all the vacuum hose and wiring for the emission control valve set and remove.
Disconnect the following hoses for the air intake chamber:
- Brake booster vacuum hose
- PCV hose
- Air control valve vacuum hose
- Unplug the DLC1 connector. Remove the nut and disconnect the 2 ground straps.
- Unbolt and remove the hydraulic motor pressure hose from the air intake chamber.
- Remove the bolt and disconnect the ground strap.
- Disconnect the right side oxygen sensor wiring clamp from the power steering tube. Remove the two nuts and disconnect the tube.
- Remove the 2 bolts and the No. 1 engine hanger. Remove the air intake chamber stay.
- Remove the EGR pipe discard the old gaskets.
- Disconnect the throttle position sensor wiring, IAC valve connector, EGR temperature sensor and A/C idle-up connector. Disconnect the 2 vacuum hoses from the throttle vacuum valve and the vacuum hose form the cylinder head rear plate. Disconnect the vacuum hose form the charcoal canister.
- Dsiconnect the 2 water bypass hoses and the air assist hose.
- Using an 8mm hexagon wrench, remove the 2 bolts, 2 nuts and the air intake chamber and gasket.
- Clean and inspect the air intake chamber mating surfaces. Scrape all old gasket material off.
- Install a new gasket and the air intake chamber with the 2 bolts and nuts. Tighten them to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm). Connect the water and vacuum hoses along with wiring for the air intake chamber.
- Install any remaining components, remember to use all new gaskets.
Tighten the following components:
Air intake chamber bolts and nuts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm)
- Install the air cleaner assembly. Connect the heater hoses. Install the battery and tray.
- Connect the throttle cable with bracket onto the throttle body.
- On vehicles equipped with automatic transaxle, connect the accelerator cable and adjust it.
- Fill the cooling system to the proper level and connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and inspect for leaks.