All models use DEXRON® II ATF.Rear
All 4WD models use Hypoid gear oil API GL-5, SAE 80W-90.
See Figures 1 and 2
The oil in the front and/or rear differential should be checked at least every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and replaced every 25,000-30,000 miles (40,000-48,000 km). If driven in deep water it should be replaced immediately.
- With the car parked on a level surface, remove the filler plug (usually a 10mm hex head) from the back of the differential.
The plug on the bottom is the drain plug on rear differentials and most front. The lower of the two plugs on the back of the housing is the drain plug on the front differential of models with V6 engines.
- If the oil begins to trickle out of the hole, there is enough. Otherwise, carefully insert your finger (watch out for sharp threads!) into the hole and check to see if the oil is up to the bottom edge of the filler hole.
- If not, add oil through the hole until the level is at the edge of the hole. Most gear oils come in a plastic squeeze bottle with a nozzle, making additions simple. You can also use a common kitchen baster.
- Replace the filler plug and drive the car for a while. Stop and check for leaks. Tighten the plug to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
DRAIN & REFILL
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
The gear oil in the front or rear differential should be changed at least every 25,000-30,000 miles (40,000-48,000 km); immediately if driven in deep water.
To drain and fill the differential, proceed as follows:
- Park the vehicle on a level surface. Set the parking brake.
- Remove the filler (upper) plug. Place a container which is large enough to catch all of the differential oil, under the drain plug.
- Remove the drain (lower) plug (usually a 10mm hex head) and gasket, if so equipped. Allow all of the oil to drain into the container.
- Install the drain plug. Tighten it so that it will not leak, but do not overtighten. Tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
Its usually a good idea to replace the drain plug gasket at this time.
- Refill with the proper grade and viscosity of axle lubricant. Be sure that the level reaches the bottom of the filler plug. DO NOT overfill!
- Install the filler plug and check for leakage.