- Make the front wheels straight and jack up the front of the vehicle.
- Place an 8 inch (203mm) wooden block under one front tire.
- Slowly lower the jack until there is about half a load on the front coil spring.
- Support the front of the vehicle with jackstands for safety.
- Make sure that the front wheels are still straight and block them.
- Move the lower suspension arm up and down and check that there is no vertical play in the joint.
- If there is play in the joint, replace it.
- Repeat the procedure for the other side.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the lower suspension arm as described in this Section.
- Clamp the lower arm in a vise.
- Remove the cotter pin and the nut.
- On 1983-86 vehicles, temporarily install the nut to prevent the ball joint from falling out.
- Using a ball joint puller such as SST 09628-62011 or equivalent, remove the ball joint from the lower arm.
- Attach the ball joint into the lower arm.
- Install the castellated nut and tighten to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm).
- Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the lower arm and tighten to specifications.
See Figure 2
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the bolts attaching the ball joint to the steering knuckle.
- Remove the stabilizer bar nut, retainer and cushion.